Hake with apricot sauce
5ml (1t) oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove, chopped or 2ml (½tsp) dried garlic flakes
1ml (¼t) curry powder
1ml (¼t) ground cinnamon
1ml(¼t) ground ginger
30ml (2T) lower GI oats
250ml apricot juice
500g hake fillets, frozen
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200ºC
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add the curry powder, cinnamon and ginger and fry briefly.
- Stir the oats and the apricot juice into the onion mixture on the stove. Stir until the mixture thickens and boil briefly. Remove from the stove and set aside.
- Place the fish in an ovenproof dish and pour the sauce over.
- Season with salt. Bake for 30 mins.
- Boil 190ml (¾ cup) pearled barley and serve with the fish, and vegetables/salad
This recipe has been taken from Eating for sustained Energy – by Gabi Steenkamp